COVID-19 Line-of-Duty Death Benefit Now Available to Members of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System
Special Benefit Covers Period Between March 5, 2020 and July 1, 2022
BALTIMORE, MD (June 4, 2020) – Effective immediately, a special line-of-duty death benefit is available to certain families of deceased active members of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System if COVID-19 was the cause of death or a contributing cause of death of the member. The benefit is now available due to legislation the General Assembly enacted during the 2021 Legislative Session in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The following conditions must be met to qualify for this special death benefit:
- The deceased member must have been actively employed with a participating employer in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System at the time of death;
- The deceased member must have died between March 5, 2020 and July 1, 2022; and
- COVID-19 must have been the cause of death or a contributing cause of death.
A member’s death presumptively was in the course of duty if the member contracted COVID-19 within 14 days after reporting to a work location provided by the member’s employer. The member’s cause of death and date of contracting COVID-19 are subject to proof by documentation as stated in the new law.
If all requirements are met, this special line-of-duty death benefit is available if the deceased member has a surviving:
- non-disabled child under 26 years old;
- disabled child of any age; or
- dependent parent.
Anyone who believes that a deceased member may qualify for this special COVID-19 death benefit is encouraged to contact Carla Foster at 410-625-5637 or firstname.lastname@example.org.